Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Victim's Advocate

I think it is time to talk about what I do about twice a week. As you all know I am a volunteer Victims Advocate, what you don't know is what I do. Well when someone, either man or women wants a temporary restraining order against some one they come to our office, they go through intake and someone determines if they have a good case.They are then required to come the following day and go through a workshop, which I do. It is part PowerPoint presentation to help them fill out the forms correctly and partly help in making sure that their declaration (what happened) is fully descriptive. Not enough to say he/she yelled at me and called me names, but be explicit. At some point someone from the Coalition Against Family Violence comes in and makes a short presentation. They are attorneys and offer free legal help via phone as well as shelter. As you might imagine people are very emotional. Every single workshop I have done has at least one man seeking aT.R.O against his wife/partner. We have also had mother's vrs daughters, sister against brothers and I am sure the list goes on.

The following day I go to court with everyone from the workshop. I can't speak but I offer support and even stand or sit with them in front of the judge. Today two of my five people did not get their restraining orders. Of course this upsets me and them too. The workshop takes about four hours and court can be 30 minutes or two hours, depending on the judge. This is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I got two big hugs today and one lady(older) said she could not have done it without our help. It is a great, free service.Amazing that so much is offered for free.
When they come back for their permanent restraining order, we help them again. By the way a restraing order says stay 100 yards(football field) away, no text messaging or calling and turn all, guns into the police department. If someone breaks it they can be arrested. It is especially hard for women with children. Sometimes they want the fathers to see their kids, sometimes not.I do a workshop tomorrow, my third day this week.Wonder what it will bring.

1 comment:

RN said...

I remember going to a similar facility in Bakersfield and the appreciation that I felt towards them in such a scary time will never be forgotten. Good for you.